Help & How To
Remoter for N9 HelpFirst use of Remoter for N9 app
Subsequent uses of the application
Using the Remoter for N9 as a remote touch pad
Troubleshooting the application
Updating the application
Uninstalling the application
If you are using the Romoter for N9 app for the first time, please make sure that the following prerequisites are fulfilled:
- Server application is installed and running.
- PC and mobile phone are in the same home wireless network.
- Firewall on your PC is configured to allow TCP 12345 and UDP 12346 ports.
If you have mentioned prerequisites, then you can start your mobile application, which will initially start in an unconnected state as shown in Figure:
There are several ways for you to connect your mobile application with PC, but the easiest way is to follow the instruction on the screen and to tap on a message to search for a servers!
The application will automatically enter the searching mode and will try to search for available servers. During this short period of time the other settings options will be unavailable, as shown in Figure:
If at least one server is up and running, you will get an Connect to dialog to choose a wanted server as shown on Figure:
Otherwise, the application will inform you that there are no server available and in that case you should check mentioned prerequisites.
To start using a Remoter for N9, while having a Connect to dialog visible, tap on server name and notice that you have to confirm this connection on your server. While confirming the connection on the server side, you can choose to save this device into a white list, so the subsequent pairing will be done without the user intervention. If the mobile application will ran into a time-out while waiting for server approval, please search for a servers again.
While in connected state, your application will inform you like as shown in Figure:
For configuration instructions please check the Application settings part of this instructions.
Tip: If you are constantly losing your wireless connection on your N9 device, go to the wireless networks enumeration screen, and tap and hold on a preferred network name and from a popup menu choose an Use automatically option. After that please connect to the same network! If you will experience the same problems again, please turn off the Power saver mode under Phone Settings - Device - Battery.
After having your mobile device connected, the data about chosen server will be automatically saved and every subsequent use of mobile application will automatically connect to a last remote server.
If a last remoter server will be unavailable, you will have to search for a new one, as described in the section First use of Remoter for N9.
The main user interface (UI) of the remote touch pad module of the Remoter for N9 application is shown on Figure:
It consists of five main elements.
- touch pad area
- vertical scrollbar area
- left mouse button
- right mouse button
- application menu button
Touch pad area
The usage of touch pad area is similar to the standard touch pad on every other laptop. The main functionalities of touch pad area are:
- tap once for a mouse single click
- tap twice for a mouse double click
- tap and move to move your mouse cursor
Vertical scrollbar area
The vertical scrollbar area will simulate the scrollbar on the touch pad of your laptop or the wheel on your mouse. The main functionalities of scrollbar area are:
Left mouse button
The left mouse button has the functionality of standard left mouse button, but adopted to be used in a combination with touch pad area. The main functionalities of the left mouse button are:
- tap once for a left mouse button single click
- tap twice for a left mouse button double click
- tap and hold to enter a selection & drag combination mode
When in combination mode, the button will be selected (highlighted), and while selected you can use a touch pad area to select a content on a remote PC or to drag a selected object on a remote PC. Feel free to use a touch pad as long as necessary, as the button will remain selected until one of the following events happens:
- tap once on touch pad area to exit the selection & drag combination mode
- tap twice on touch pad area to exit the combination mode and to send a double click
- tap once on left button to exit the combination mode
- tap twice on left button to exit the combination mode and to send a double click
Right mouse button
Tapping the right button will send a right mouse button signal to a remote PC. Only functionality of this button is:
- tap once for a right mouse button single click
Application menu button
Tap on the application menu button to invoke the application menu. For instruction on using menu please refer to the Application menu section.
Invoking the menu
To invoke the applications menu, tap on an Application menu button situated on the bottom right corner of the main (touch pad) application screen.
Types of menu
The Remoter for N9 has a contextually sensitive menu, which will adapt its options according to the application state. Currently, the application menu is different for two main application states. Figure shows the application menu in connected state:
The application menu has following options:
- Connect to remote PC - this option is available only in not connected state. Taping on this option will invoke application settings screen and will start the search for the servers process.
- Open Remoter's Keyboard - this option is available only in connected state. Tapping on this option will invoke the remote keyboard plug-in. The instructions on how to use this plug-in are available in Remoter's keyboard section.
- Application Settings - tapping this option will invoke the application settings screen. The instructions on how to set up the application are available in Application settings section.
- About Remoter - tapping this option will invoke the About remoter screen.
- Minimize Remoter - tapping this option will minimize Remoter for N9 applications. The application will remain running and connection to remote pc will remain open. Depending on your device configuration, you might minimize the application by swiping the application left or right.
- Close Remoter and Exit - tapping this option will close Remoter for N9 application and will terminate connection to remote pc.
Closing the menu
The application menu could be closed on the following ways:
- tapping on the title of the menu or X button
- tapping on empty space above or below the menu options
Invoking the keyboard
The Remoter's keyboard can be invoked through the Application menu but only if the application is in connected state.
Setting up the keyboard
The Remoter's keyboard initially has default settings which include hidden virtual keyboard and disabled send text as you type option. The keyboard in its initial state can be seen in Figure:
The Remoter for N9 keyboard can work in two different states:
- send text when you are finished (default)
- send text as you type
To change the keyboard state, use the first icon in the upper right corner of the screen. If the mentioned icon is enabled the send text when you are finished state is enabled , and when disabled the text will be sent as you type id disabled.
Using the keyboard - send text when you are finished
The most convenient way of using this option is when you have to write lots of text to your remote PC, or when you want to finish writing the text before sending it to your PC. This option is also convenient to use with the Error correction option enabled on your device.
To start writing the text, tap in the empty text input box, and the virtual keyboard (soft input panel) will automatically pop up, as shown in the Figure 16. If you want to manually hide or show the virtual keyboard, please use the keyboard icon in the top right corner of the screen.
The size of the text box is automatically scaled to fit the large amount of text. Additionally, if you want you can select portions of text, copy it, cut it, or paste the previously copied text; Single tap in the text box will bring the paste option, and long tap in the text box will invoke the magnifier.
To send the finished and prepared text to the remote PC, please tap the send message icon in the bottom right corner of the input text box. While sending the text, please make sure that the last word is not underlined, while such word will not be transmitted.
The use of backspace key in this mode is specific, while this key will NOT transmit signal if deleting something in text box, and WILL transmit signal if text box is empty. In this way, we enabled users to delete text on remote pc.
In this mode you can also send some of the special keys and the key combinations. You can use ESC, TAB, Home, End, WinKey and Caps, and taping them, the signal will be transmitted immediately. So the use of these keys does not affect the process of writing and preparing the text. Additionally, if you want to use the key combinations (such as Ctrl+A), you have to prepare the combination and after that tap the send message icon in the bottom right corner of the input text box.
The special WinKey key can be used in two modes. You can tap it to transmit the signal immediately (as other stated keys), or you can long tap it to put it in the combination mode.
You can use this keyboard mode in landscape orientation too.
Tip: More convenient way of sending the key combinations is the send text as you type mode of the keyboard.
Using the keyboard - send text as you type
By using this option you will remotely send all keys immediately as they are written on your mobile device. The most convenient way of using this mode is when you want to have the text displayed on your PC while typing.
To start writing the text, tap in the empty single-line text input box, and the virtual keyboard (soft input panel) will automatically pop up. If you want to manually hide or show the virtual keyboard, please use the keyboard icon in the top right corner of the screen.
The use of backspace key in this mode will transmit the signal regardless of the content of the input text box. If the input text box is not empty, the backspace key will delete a char in the input text box along with the deletion of the char on remote PC.
If you have Error correction option enabled on your device, the word will be transmitted to the remote PC after it will be finished. The underlined word on your device means that you can correct it, and for example, after hitting the space, the word will be accepted and automatically transmitted. The use of backspace key in this situation is also slightly different, but the content of the input text box on your phone and the transmitted text will be synchronized too.
In this mode you can also send some of the special keys and the key combinations. You can use ESC, TAB, Home, End, WinKey and Caps, and taping them, the signal will be transmitted immediately. These signals will not be visible in your input text box. Additionally, if you want to use the key combinations (such as Ctrl+A), you have to prepare the combination prefixes and after that write a suffix character. This will trigger the key combination to be sent. If you have error correction option enabled on your device, after the input of suffix character, please input a space char which will trigger the word to be completed, and the combination will be transmitted immediately.
Tip: Tapping on the clear icon at the right side of the single-line text input box its content will be deleted, and the corresponding content on the remote PC will also BE DELETED, so be careful while using this option.
Closing the keyboard plug-in
The Remoter's keyboard plug-in can be closed by taping the toolbar back icon situated at the bottom left corner of the screen. If the icon is not visible, please tap the hide keyboard icon in the top right corner of the screen first.
Invoking the settings
The Remoter's settings can be invoked through the Application menu situated on the main application screen or in special circumstances by taping the message showing that the application is in non connected state.
Setting up the application settings
The Remoter for N9 has several important settings that could improve the usability and overall user satisfaction of using the remoter. The initial settings include:
- Device name - should be used to identify the mobile device on the server side
- Connection type - can be used to switch between different connection types. These options depend on the installed connection type plug-ins. The only free connection type is Wi-Fi connection.
- Mouse sensitivity - can be used to change the sensitivity of the mouse pointer while using the touch panel or vertical scroll bar panel. The default value is 0. The values grater then 0 will speed up your pointer and the values below 0 (minus values) will slow down your mouse pointer. The overall range is from -5 to 5.
- Application theme - default is light application theme. Use this to switch between light and dark application theme
- Connection details - can be used to check on connection details (connected, searching or unconnected) or to start the new searching process by tapping this option.
Closing the settings
The Remoter's settings screen can be closed by taping the toolbar back icon situated at the bottom left corner of the screen.
In order to use Remoter make sure that your mobile phone and your computer are
in the same network:
Note: Direct wireless connection can be established between personal computer and
mobile phone using virtual wifi AP applications like: connectify which is free
and should work with any mobile device, application enables you to create
your own secure wifi Hotspot that can even share your PC internet connection.
Alternatively connection can be established via ad-hoc
connection (Please note
that some mobile devices do not support ad-hoc connection type), please follow
these Windows 7 ad hoc setup instructions:
1. Type in start menu "Set up an ad hoc", select first result from list (see image below):
2. On Set Up an Ad Hoc Network dialog press Next.
3. Following image shows an example of settings:
Due to security reasons use custom Network name and security key.
4. Click on Next and wail until ad-hoc network is created.
5. Notice that your computer is already connected to your new adhoc network and is
waiting for users:
6. Now, simply connect your mobile device to the same ad-hoc network.
7. Your computer and your mobile device are now in the same network.
If you are not in able to connect mobile application with downloaded server, please check following:
- Server application is installed and running.
- PC and mobile phone are in the same home wireless network.
- Firewall on your PC is configured to allow TCP and UDP on ports 47638 and 47639.
- Server application is unblocked by Windows Firewall.
- Mobile application is connected to the wireless network.
- You don't have the mobile device black listed on your server application.
If this will not help, please contact developers for help. Contact info can be found on our website (http://apps.foi.hr/remoter/) and in the About Remoter screen which can be invoked through the main application menu. For more info on invoking the About Remoter screen please look at the Application menu section.
If you have lost your connection suddenly (see Figure 37), please wait for a few seconds, check the following and try to reconnect.
- Check the remote PC is connected to the wireless network.
- Check the mobile phone is connected to the wireless network.
- Check if the wireless router has finished the connection restart.
If you experience any other problem while using Remoter for N9, please contact us for help. Contact info can be found on our website (http://apps.foi.hr/remoter/) and in the About Remoter screen which can be invoked through the main application menu. For more info on invoking the About Remoter screen please look at the Application menu section.
Lack of functionality and bugs
If you come across any lack of functionality, if our application will behave different than expected and described in this help, if you notice any bugs, please send us a info on that issue. Our contact info can be found on our website (http://apps.foi.hr/remoter/) and in the About Remoter screen which can be invoked through the main application menu. For more info on invoking the About Remoter screen please look at the Application menu section.
From time to time, the Remoter for N9 will be upgraded, and you will be notified about available updates through the standard update mechanisms on your device. Please update your application regularly to achieve the maximized usability of our application.
If you are interested, you can contact us and ask to be informed on our new applications and updates through our regular mailing procedures. Our contact info can be found on our website (http://apps.foi.hr/remoter/) and in the About Remoter screen which can be invoked through the main application menu. For more info on invoking the About Remoter screen please look at the Application menu section.
Please use the standard procedure to uninstall and remove the Remoter for N9 application. The uninstall options on your device can be found in Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications.